The objectives of the fellowship are to encourage young Indian researchers to take up public interest oriented research and advocacy in the Indian energy sector, and to provide some financial and professional support to youngsters at an early stage of their career. Hence, we are looking for young researchers who are committed to a career in public interest research and advocacy in the energy sector.
Details of the fellowship
- One fellowship would be awarded.
- The fellowship work would be mentored by a senior researcher at Prayas (Energy Group).
- The researcher receiving the fellowship will primarily be based at Prayas (Energy Group) and would also be encouraged to develop additional affiliations and spend time at other institutes and with other mentors to develop diverse perspectives. However, at least four months of the fellowship must be spent at Prayas (Energy Group).
- The fellowship amount would be Rs. 35,000 per month plus some provision for other expenses such as travel.
- The fellowship would be for one year and is likely to begin around June 2014.
- The fellowship program would be managed by the Girish Sant Memorial Committee and administered by Prayas (Energy Group).
Broad research areas
Fellowship applicants are free to propose any topic of research for the fellowship as long as it addresses public interest aspects in the energy sector. A few broad research areas are suggested below to help candidates think about possible research topics.
- Functioning and effectiveness of regulatory institutions in the energy sector
- Likely evolution trajectories of the Indian energy sector
- Markets, competition, pricing in the energy sector
- Energy supply, energy access and human development
- The fellowship would be open to all Indians below the age of 35.
- Applicants should have at least an under-graduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- We are looking for candidates with strong analytical skills, multi-disciplinary interests and ability and willingness to learn.
- Upon selection, applicants should be willing to work full-time on the fellowship.
- All applications for the fellowship must be submitted electronically to email@example.com. Complete applications as described above should reach this email address by the midnight of 31st January 2014.
- Applicants for the fellowship must submit the following information as part of the application:
- A complete bio-data giving the candidate's date of birth, contact details, details of education, work experience, research and other interests, and list of publications.
- Names and email addresses of two respected researchers from the energy and/or development sectors who can be contacted for references
- Applicants are also encouraged to submit a brief research problem statement (not exceeding 500 words) on a topic of their interest. A research problem statement is optional, but a well thought-out and articulated problem statement will be considered favourably.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Applicants would be judged on the basis of their bio-data and references. They may also be interviewed, either in person or over telephone.
- The successful applicant would be announced in March 2014, following written acceptance of fellowship by the selected candidate.
For more information
You may visit the website of Prayas (Energy Group) at www.prayaspune.org/peg to know more about the work of Girish Sant and Prayas (Energy Group). We welcome any queries regarding the fellowship at firstname.lastname@example.org.